Wednesday, July 7, 2010







the first typeset box began unconsciously (see previous post, 'so many stories') - one day in the studio i simply began to place my favorite bits and pieces together in each window. i went back to it sporadically, attempting to balance the colors, the shapes and textures. the 'windows' began to turn into little stories for me. at some point i became very frustrated and gave the whole thing up...i couldn't 'see' it anymore, and my eye became confused and unfocused.

life was kind enough to offer me a friend who happened to have seen my progress and also happened to love it. she told me how much she loved it in the company of other friends, at a meeting...i could hear her passion and how moved she was AND how she thought i was brilliant at what i did. i sat there listening to her, this amazing metalsmith, and with tears in my eyes, i attempted to bottle and retain what she said. and believe it. believing's always the kicker for me...

all of this creation business is experimentation for me - my art teacher in high school was unimpressed. i had one semester of art school (after completing an undergraduate degree in psychology - where you can really make big money, let me tell you) and teachers who meant well. my parents were always of the mindset that i couldn't make money as an artist, so i absolutely shouldn't pursue art. they refused to help me with college if i went that route. this is not to say 'poor me'. this is to say that prior to my 35th year of life, i had not experienced people believing in me, in this way. and now i am. and it's the most amazing, fulfilling experience ever. it is equal to the importance of mothering my two children, at least.

so enough of all that for now. here's a look at the next typeset box - it's about half the size of the previous piece, and houses loads of stories as well...








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers